Have you considered outsourcing some of your documents to a technical writer?
Here are the benefits for using a professional technical writer:
- Out-sourcing the writing means that your developers, engineers and marketing staff can concentrate on their main responsibilities – the jobs they are good at. You get top quality documentation from a specialist.
- When you use a professional technical writing service, you only pay for the technical writing resources you need, when you need them.
- You can purchase a small quantity of top-quality, professional expertise, without having to commit to a long-term high salary.
- You can buy in different kinds of expertise to meet differing needs. For example, bring in an expert writer to write your web page content, and use a specialist website designer to handle the presentation. No need to compromise – you can get the best in every field.
- Even if you have in-house technical writing resources, you can manage the peak workloads by buying in professional help.
Finding a Technical Writer
There are many options you can investigate to outsource your technical writing needs.
Option 1 – Contact a specialist documentation agency
- Good availability
- Normally supply experienced authors
- Cost – the agency mark-up makes this expensive.
- Can’t always get the same techical writer so more familisation time.
- Lots of paperwork.
Option 2 – Pick a freelance technical writer on the internet.
- Usually very cheap, no overheads or mark-up.
- No proper technical writing experience.
- No affiliations with professional bodies.
- Probably don’t have good project management skills.
- No back-up.
- Long-term continuity may be a problem.
- They just want to pay the mortgage at any cost.
Option 3 – Use Eagle Words – an experienced, established supplier of technical writing services.
- Good availability.
- Loads of relevant experience
- No agency overheads on the cost.
- Wants to build long-term relationships with clients.
- Affiliations with the ISTC – the main professional body for technical writers.
- Access to other experienced qualified technical writers if required.
- Sorry, I can’t think of any.
What should I do now?
I have been providing Technical Documentation solutions to customers for over 30 years…
“Good documentation makes your product easier to use, easier to maintain, and easier to sell” says Alison. Whether you have policies and procedures that need writing, online help, or white papers I can help. Take a look at my technical writing page to get some background, you can then call on 01902 939493 to talk about any of your technical writing needs or to get detailed course outlines for my training. If you want to be informed of any occasional public training courses I run, please sign up to my email list.